2017 NFL Draft
Prospect: Chad Wheeler
Prospect: Chad Wheeler
Ht: 6'-6" Wt: 310
Position #1: OT
|All Scouting Reports||Prospect Video||Prospect Bio|
The three-year starting left tackle for the Trojans drew headlines following an altercation with Los Angeles police that ultimately led to Wheeler getting suspended from the team for the 2015 Holiday Bowl (Footnote: Wheeler was not arrested and he has since been reinstated by head coach Clay Helton). He is expected to return to left tackle, pairing with the massive Zach Banner to arguably give the Trojans the top duo at these positions in 2016.
He enters his senior campaign with 34 career starts under his belt while coming off a 2015 campaign in which he was named 2nd -team All-Pac 12. Wheeler looks the part with broad shoulders, long arms and well distributed weight. He displays initial quickness off the snap in pass protection, generating depth with a polished kick slide that may be the best in college football. Wheeler uses his long reach and impressive strength to grab hold of opponents and anticipates counter moves well, showing the balance to slide laterally while keeping his legs bent and his butt down to maintain leverage.
Wheeler is also effective in the running game, creating an overpowering surge at the point of attack due to his strength. Wheeler's initial burst and rare straight-line speed for the position stand out when he's asked to block at the second level, surprising opponents with his ability to get downfield. Wheeler's build can have a negative impact on his flexibility and change of direction. He is vulnerable to speed rushers who can get him leaning and struggles when redirecting his charge at the second level as a run blocker.
Compares to (Current NFL Player): Tyron Smith (Dallas Cowboys)
- Best kick-slide for pass protection in college football
- Strength in shoulders and arms to re-direct pass rushers
- Keeps butt low well for a tall man to establish position and leverage
- Quickness off snap and speed/footwork allow him to get to 2nd level
- Will be a 4 year starter, hopefully adding maturity to his resume
- Must control temper off the field
- Improve flexibility and change of direction
- Pass physicals (2 concussions and torn ACL in right knee)
1)   Top NFL Draft Prospects: On and off field, USC tackle Chad Wheeler one to watch   - CBS Sports |
2)   Top NFL Draft Prospects: USC's Zach Banner is a big man with big expectations   - CBS Sports |
USC Football Player Wheeler Gets Into Scuffle With Police   - NBC Los Angeles |
4)   Chad Wheeler Twitter|